Alert For Parents Bath Toys And Sippy Cups???

This morning their was an alert for parents so if anyone missed this please read….I was curious as to what my children’s bath toys looked like inside so I cut one open and there was no mold but a little slimy… Yuck!!

Bath toys and sippy cups are some of a toddler’s favorite things -– but with near constant exposure to a wet environment, just how clean are they? Every kid loves their favorite bath toys and their fun-colored sippy cups, but have you ever given these items a thorough look?  What one mother discovered hiding inside her daughter’s sippy cup, the object in which she drank from, left her cringing. Inside there was fecal bacteria growing inside of it.

Parents across the country were asked to let us test their children’s sippy cups and bath toys for germs. On behalf of “GMA,” by Dr. Susan Whittier, a microbiologist at New York–Presbyterian/Columbia University Hospital in New York City, tested more than 50 items for mold and bacteria.
The results were jaw-dropping. All the products we tested were found to have some mold and/or bacteria. The bacteria we found would not pose a health risk in a nonimmunocompromised child, although there is the risk of skin infections if the bacteria came into contact with breaks in the skin.

Fecal bacteria was growing on more than 25 percent of the sippy cups we tested.

“The health risk is probably minimal, but it’s just gross to think about,” Whittier said.

We tested bath toys made of rubber, foam, and plastic and found that the rubber toys were the dirtiest. Two of them tested positive for mold, including one submitted by our producer.

“If they were to ingest that it’s unpredictable; they could have an allergic reaction,”

Parents should clean bath toys with disinfectant wipes and rinse them once a week. As for the sippy cups, Whittier says that parents should make sure they can be completely disassembled, and clean them in the dishwasher on high heat.

Manufacturers also suggest that parents always let cups and toys dry completely before using them.
Thanks to one Montreal mom’s alarming viral photo of the mold she discovered growing on the inside of her daughter’s sippy cup, we know that your kid’s favorite drinking container may not be as clean as it seems. And now there’s new evidence that the problem may be even more widespread.

Good Morning America analyzed the germs on over 50 kids’ products that are constantly exposed to water—specifically sippy cups and bath toys—sent in by parents from across the country, and the results even shocked the experts.

Microbiologist behind the study, found bacteria and mold growing on 100% of the products tested, according to ABC News. Researchers also found fecal matter on more than 25% of the sippy cups tested. Yikes!

They examined rubber, foam, and plastic bath toys, and found that rubber toys were the dirtiest.

It’s easy to imagine any sippy cup or toy becoming a breeding-ground for bacteria—kids are constantly touching their surroundings, unaware of germs, after all—but the fact that every item contained bacteria or mold is what surprised this expert.

This study makes it seem like germs and mold are almost unavoidable, so do we need to worry? For kids with healthy immune systems, parents don’t need to be overly concerned. “The health risk is probably minimal, but it’s just gross to think about,” Whittier said.

There is, however, the risk of an allergic reaction. “If they were to ingest that, it’s unpredictable,” she warned.

The takeaway: Bath toys and sippy cups need to be replaced after awhile. While in use, toys should be cleaned with disinfecting wipes and rinsed once a week, and sippy cups should be disassembled and cleaned on high heat in in the dishwasher.


Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Jack’s Corner

Monthly Post Archives

March 2018
« Feb    

Contact Information

Mailing Address:
Attn: Jack’s Corner
8249 N. Triana Dr.
Citrus Springs, Fl 34434

Website: COMING SOON!!!

Email: Drop Us A Line!
%d bloggers like this: